Winter Scene

    Our Lady Of The Rosary Parish Limerick

Facebook Twitter Flickr YouTube Blog Email


Picture Carousel
Our Lady of the Rosary Parish on Limerick's Ennis Road was created on January 1st 1964 after seceding from the historic St.Munchin's Parish and contains the area around the Ennis Road including
  • The North Circular Road
  • Westfield Park
  • Ashbrook
  • Bracken
  • Revington Park
  • Mayorstone
  • Lansdowne Park
  • Hazeldene
  • Coolraine
The population of the parish is around 10,000.

The Holy Rosary Church is unique in that it was built of timber in 1951 and has become something of an architectural wonder. It was the brainchild of the late Canon Michael Moloney who was noted for his encouragement of native artists and craftsmen.

There are well known artifacts in the church such as the teak statue of our Lady of Fatima by Oisin Kelly and Imogen Stuart's Annunciation Tableau.

Limerick is represented by the artists James Clancy and Eamon Costello and the font is by Thomas Quinn.

The Stations of the Cross were executed by the Oberammergau carvers in Germany.
Parish History
Architectural Heritage
Our Lady of the Rosary Parish is known for its leafy suburbs, affluence, comforts and middle class acquisitions. The parish does have its problems as it does not have a community hall. Hopefully this will be rectified with the building of the J.F.K Primary School which may become a new focal point for the Parish.

There are five schools in the Parish.
There are two parks in the parish; there is Shelbourne Park which has two playing pitches and a playground on the Shelbourne Road and The Ted Russell Park on the North Circular Road.

Westfield's Wetlands is recognised as one of the few urban wetlands in Europe. It is situated close to the Shannon Bridge and the Condell Bridge and has become increasingly popular with avid birdwatchers, walkers, families and conservationists.

Limerick is known as the Sporting Capital of Ireland both near and far beyond. Rugby is very prominent in Limerick City with Munster playing their home matches at the Thomond Park Stadium.

The Gaelic Grounds on the Ennis Road is the home to Limerick GAA where Limerick play their Hurling and Gaelic Football matches.

St.Michael's Rowing Club is one of Ireland's premier rowing clubs located on the River Shannon at O'Callaghan Strand. It has produced many great rowers of International class.

Limerick Lawn Tennis Club was founded in 1877 and is one of the oldest Tennis Clubs in Ireland and Britain. In 1898 a Rugby International was played on the grounds between Ireland and Wales. There are 12 floodlit Tennis Courts and three Squash Courts.

Legal:

© Copyright Sean Ryan 2012 All rights reserved.
Contact me for reproduction permissions.
STANDARD DISCLAIMER: Sharing of images on-line by Sean Ryan in no way licences the use of said images for commercial and private usage without the express permission from Sean Ryan.

Webmaster: McKay Software Services Ltd.